Why perform an Audit Update?
Because your data set has probably changed – you’ve added some new accounts or made changes to old ones – and we’ve made changes to the Identify Database. An update will ensure that you have the most current Identify data for all your key records, such as new metadata like subject classifications, consortia memberships, or new hierarchical relationships reflecting mergers or new organizational structures.
Practically speaking? Here are some reasons our clients will update:
- Regular data maintenance
- Compare new vs non-renewed accounts
- Enhance data quality prior to a systems migration or new system implementation
- Identify duplicates & connected accounts via Ringgold IDs and Identify Hierarchies
- Support business analysis
How often can we perform an Audit Update?
Clients with an Audit Update contract may update their data up to 12 times per year, though most of our clients send data 3 to 4 times per year. There is no additional cost to send your data more frequently. If you want to discuss sending data on an automated monthly basis, please reach out to your account representative for details.
What data can we send for an Audit Update?
Typical contracts cover an update of a data set with the same parameters as the data you’ve sent previously. Most often, the parameters are “all active institutional subscribers,” meaning that in 2015, you’d send any records for accounts with 2015 subscriptions. In 2016, that set would change to include accounts subscribing in 2016: some new accounts would join the set, and some non-renewing accounts would drop off. The overall size of the data set is expected to remain relatively constant.
For specifics on the data elements you should send, please refer to the Data Exchange Document.
Are there limits on how many records we can send?
Your contract will specify a total number of records you may send, but we understand that some expansion may occur – hopefully you are gaining some new customers each year. However, if the overall growth in your data set exceeds 7%, or there is a very large percentage of new records (meaning, records never before audited by Ringgold), then we will reach out to you to discuss before proceeding.
What if we have acquired a new journal, or want to expand the set of records we send for an Audit Update?
Clients will often want to add to the set of data regularly updated, to include new journal acquisitions or customer sets for different products such as ebooks, or those purchasing via different channels like aggregators or consortia.
This will allow you to identify the overlaps between the new and old record sets, easily integrating new customers or key accounts, and giving you a more complete view of your data.
The new records will be handled as a one-time Initial Audit, then rolled into the Audit Update set for ongoing updates. Note that records requiring an Initial Audit are charged at a higher per-record fee than ongoing Updates, owing to the full manual review of each record. Full costs for both an Initial Audit and adding to your Audit Updates can be given on review of your data set.
What happens when my Audit Update is complete?
Ringgold will notify you when your update is complete, and deliver you the following:
1. A set of Audit Files for Systems
2. A set of Human Readable Audit Files (if this is part of your agreement)
3. Identify Database subscribers will have their data loaded into Identify Online, so you can compare your subscribers to the rest of the institutional market
What are some new ways we can be using our Identify Audit files?
- Complex market segmentation, using data such as Ringgold Subjects, tiers, size, and location
- Use Ringgold IDs to support authentication to subscribed content by unique institution rather than by account. Benefit: you can also join up the resulting usage statistics
- Create a drop-down menu of key institutions for web forms, eliminating some free text and embedding Ringgold IDs into newly-created records – like affiliations for members, meeting registrants, or individual subscribers
- ScholarOne Manuscripts & Aries Editorial Manager customers: Compare your author affiliations to your subscribers
- Join multiple data sets together using the Ringgold ID
- Support systems interoperability
How can I get started with an Audit Update?
If you’ve not sent us your files recently for an Audit Update, simply deposit your most current set of data in your secure FTP or ShareFile folder, and we will begin your update immediately. Contact your account representative if you need assistance sending us your data.
Who can I contact with audit questions?
If you have any questions about updates or your contracted service in general, please reach out to your account representative:
US – Christine Orr email@example.com
Europe – Diane Cogan firstname.lastname@example.org
Ringgold Support email@example.com